Estabrook's has everything you need to carve the perfect pumpkin. Here are a few tips to make that jack-o-lantern truly special:
There are many effective ways to preserve your jack-o-lanterns. If you can carve 2-3 days before Halloween, we recommend the following preservation techniques:
- Prevent your pumpkin from drying out by placing petroleum jelly on the cut edges of your carving.
- To help prevent premature decomposition, spray your pumpkin with water, cover it with plastic wrap then store it in the refrigerator when it's not on display.
- Soak or spray the pumpkin with water mixed with a little bit of bleach. This will help ward off mold and kill insects for a longer preservation.
No matter how great your design is, your masterpiece will only truly shine once the sun goes down. Here are a few tips for lighting up your jack-o-lantern this Halloween:
- When using a candle, cut a hole on the upper, back part of the pumpkin. The hole will work like a chimney by allowing the candle's heat to escape.
- Try creating the opening from the bottom of the pumpkin instead of the top - you can attach the light source to the bottom lid and place the pumpkin over it.
- For a multicolor display, use a battery-operated light with LED bulbs. A flashing light is ideal for spooky pumpkin carvings.